Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to James Johnson's homepage

What did this past season teach you!

What did you learn this past season? How was your #striped #bass count?

I took a step back and came to realize the things I have been tacking advantage of! When their are lots of fish around it is very easy to locate a good byte, but when the number if fish begin to decline you start to realize how lazy it has made me.

In early spring I did my normal scouting, fishing the back bays and did fair but numbers where down as the spring run started to switch to summer the lack of fish was more apparent then ever and found my self doing more scouting and looking for good structure. As the fall run became a reality scouting and hunting for my beloved #striper was a must if you wanted to catch fish, sure the sand eals where present but the striped bass would only come in in certain locations weather patterns and when the bass where present you needed to work hard to get a real decent byte they where very picky on what they would take. What I am saying picky I am not just not talking about lure selection but technique! The same lure was presented and would vary my presentation to I found how they where feeding and my bass count increased by 10 to 1. My son and I had some banner outings and it was something we tend to forget about How to fish!

So I guess what I am saying it's time to step back and get back into what and why I fell in love with this great sport! As our fisheries begin to acknowledge that we are in a decline it is more important then ever to get back to basics and fish. Surfcasting fuels my very soul and has become part of me and a lifestyle I could never give up!

A little advice for those who chase reports, spot burn and call everyone in a 50 mile radius when a fish is caught. Stop it! Learn the sport and enjoy everything it has to offer. The internet is a great place to find information and can shave years of trial and error of learning this sport of #surfcasting but it can never! replace the hard work and dedication that is required to be successful at it.

Those of you that have just got into surfcasting it is time to learn and you will see how important it is to keep those log books, learning to read the beach to find structure, How weather, tide's and current play a major roll on you catch, How to observe nature and the signs of whats going on where we can't see and the dedication that is required to become a successful surfcaster.

Instead of cruising the beach watching what everyone else is doing or just cruising saying theirs no fish! Stop just get out of your truck, find some structure and just Fish!

Dont' worry if this is not you, I will just keep browsing classifieds and auctions for some new slightly used fishing equipment.

See you on the beach!
    Have questions? Need answers? or just want to improve your angling skills or learn new techniques? Start a New Topic Today! and get the incite and knowledge needed from experienced anglers with a passion for the sport. Start making the most of you time on the water!
    Pay close attention to what history has taught us and be prepared to relive it again!
    ------------- or ----------
    Make a difference.
    Practice Catch & Release!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to StrikeZone's homepage
    For me use my bucktails more! Bucktails are with me at all times but i just dont use them as much as I once did. This season I got a lot more use and puled in more fish than I would have stuck to my so called MOJO lure's Love them buck's!

Quote Originally Posted by James Johnson View Post
    Dont' worry if this is not you, I will just keep browsing classifieds and auctions for some new slightly used fishing equipment.
    Don't bother looking at the auctions I win them all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Total Contributions For

grego     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No Homepage Set: Click To Add Your Own Homepage
    I think it is time to make striped bass a GAMEFISH !!!!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Total Contributions For

Baldwin     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I am going back to using a log book, also. I also want to fish a particular spot or two, that I've fished occasionally in the past, consistently enough to figure them out well. I'd also like to get back into conventional and fly fishing more again. I've slacked in those areas recently.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to StrikeZone's homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    I am going back to using a log book, also. I also want to fish a particular spot or two, that I've fished occasionally in the past, consistently enough to figure them out well. I'd also like to get back into conventional and fly fishing more again. I've slacked in those areas recently.
    Fishing one area consistently and keeping detailed logs of your outings will improve you success rate 10 fold! The past few seasons I slacked with some of my outings as far as logging full details and paid the price. Stick it out with a area, you will get skunk a lot until you find the pattern for that area and you find your honey hole!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

rockhopper2     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    I am going back to using a log book, also. I also want to fish a particular spot or two, that I've fished occasionally in the past
    Wise decision a log is your best friend! Fishing a a spot consistently is the only way you will learn a area. Tight Lines!