Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No Homepage Set: Click To Add Your Own Homepage

I can't make up my frick'n mind

I just know I'm opening a can of debate worms here and I hope things don't get overly complex since they don't need to be.
    I haven't been surf fishing for nearly 12 years since my fishing buddy left for the interior of the states. I don't make friends easy enough anymore since PTSD does not allow me to trust people further than I can spit. But I had family move down along with their two sons. I've taught em the basics of surf fishing with various cut baits etc. I was hoping they'd like it enough to get hooked and invest more $ into it. They nailed the crap out of blues and fell in love with surf fishing! They're Pennsylvania Yankees who've fished plenty up there but sorely lacked guidance, so I was pretty busy the first 3 trips, teaching em proper knots, how to read the surf (sand bars, cuts and troughs), how to handle certain species etc. There's definitely a lifetime of learning ahead of em. I still consider myself very noobish in the surf. Especially with such a long hiatus behind me. I've forgotten quite a bit it seems and gear technology has jumped a lot.

The last trip to the beach wasn't extremely fruitful, one blue and too many cats. But the guys did well enough on their own to the point where I was bored and wanted to participate with my new fishing buds. But alas, I no longer have my gear. Noooooo problem. Time for a trip to the toy store eh? Well I've done the research and set my mind on Penn Battle 2 (combo maybe?) but definitely Penn battle 2.

Herein lay my problem/delema. I'm definitely more of the freshwater lure type and quite successful too (I still have that gear) but I've become physically disabled to the point where I can't constantly fling a 10-12 footer anymore. The sand bar isn't but 100 yards out there, Troughs and honey holes naught but 50-75. I recently took an old reel and a 7 foot mh fast rod out with a 1oz sinker to test my limitations. I did very very well indeed. I'm pretty sure I can fling an 7'6 - 8 footer (if I can find one). But the problem comes when selecting reel size.

I will mostly be tossing lures (my preferred tactic) but there will be times when I've pushed the physical envelope and need to sit down with bait in the surf. I don't really want to invest in several rod and reel set ups but rather a do all. I was considering the 4000-5000 range, which I think will fit the bill, but I can't make up my mind as to which. I've seen plenty of videos of guys landing 30lb fish with a battle 2, 4000 on medium to mh rods. But I'm wondering if they're pushing the envelope on that reels max capability or not. Maybe for me the 5k is too much? But then again, there are big reds, small sharks, and the always impressive tarpon out there willing to smack my lures.

So I'm weighing the range of the troughs and cuts up and down the 75 mile coast near me against line capacity off reel options against potential monster fish and my casting abilities.

So..... Penn battle 2.......4000 or 5000 (and maybe rod suggestions).
    Or am I being to finicky, "shut up, grab either and go fishing you idiot"

2. Back To Top    #2
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

BufferZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Take them both!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to StrikeZone's homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    I just know I'm opening a can of debate worms
    YES you are there is no simple answer to this........but I will help you the best I can.

Well I've done the research and set my mind on Penn Battle 2 (combo maybe?) but definitely Penn battle 2.
    A combo is matched pretty good for what it is and a good start to fishing the surf but you need to know if it will fit your needs.

Ask yourself these questions and be honest with yourself!

What lures will i be using?, min and max weight of the lures and if for bait what the max weight with bait you will toss.
    What power rating do I need?
    Will I primary fish with lures or bait?
    Where will I fish............ Open beach, Jetties, Bays or docks etc...............?

Now ask yourself will that combo fit your needs?

Herein lay my problem/delema. I'm definitely more of the freshwater lure type and quite successful too (I still have that gear) but I've become physically disabled to the point where I can't constantly fling a 10-12 footer anymore. The sand bar isn't but 100 yards out there, Troughs and honey holes naught but 50-75. I recently took an old reel and a 7 foot mh fast rod out with a 1oz sinker to test my limitations. I did very very well indeed. I'm pretty sure I can fling an 7'6 - 8 footer (if I can find one). But the problem comes when selecting reel size.
    I think for you it should look for a mh rod for fish handling 8 foot would due and a 1 to 4 lure rating based on your info. but keep in mind you will only be able to toss bait up to the lure rating.
    Now the reel go with the 5000 will handle the reds no problem but shark an tarpen based on size of-course aaaaaaa............................ that what your drag is for

I don't really want to invest in several rod and reel set ups but rather a do all.
    Sorry to say No such thing it is on or the other.

I have many surf poles and all have different ratings for how i am fishing that outing and the time of year. 1-4 great go to lure pole and two bait poles 1 up too 8 and the other to 16 Would never think of trying my plugs on would never be able to properly load the rod.

Or am I being to finicky, "shut up, grab either and go fishing you idiot"
    Being smart get the most for your buck the first time.

Tight Lines

4. Back To Top    #4
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to StrikeZone's homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by BufferZone View Post
    Take them both!
    Cant have too many when it comes to fishing

5. Back To Top    #5
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

MajorTom     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    "Sorry to say No such thing it is on or the other."
    I just knew someone was going to shove that in my face.

I actually have 4 rods for fresh water for pretty much the same reason. But one of em is pretty close to a do all but can't do it all. It won't fit the bill for tight spaces where a 5'6" ultra light will or where Lilly pads are thick and you need a rod with backbone.

Scratch pier fishing off the list. I don't like crowds and guys standing behind me who can't cast. "fish on, move over".
    But, for the Florida beach, I'm inclined to agree that an 8 footer and the 5000 will be as close to a do all as one can get.
    Some 20lb braided will most certainly handle most things I can catch here. One of the fishing buds caught a nice 9lb red this morning, Lord knows there's a few bulls lurking about.
    As far as another set up is concerned, I think I'll need something more for next seasons mullet run. Things get real crazy here. It's an amazing thing just to watch. Now all I need to do is pick out a few lures. I've already got some Cotton pencils for top. I'll pick up an xrap or two. After that I'm thinking a couple spoons (blues and Jack's seem to like em well enough).

Thanks much for chiming in and the input. You've pushed me over the edge.