Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to StrikeZone's homepage

Surf Fishing 101 Tips and Tricks

Once upon a time and really not too long ago, surf fishing was like some sort of deep dark secret held by surfcasters and many guarded these secrets with their lives! Striped Bass had a monetary value at this time and many used this to fund their fishing outings and some earned a decent living at it. Surf fishing used to be an elite club and you had to pay your dues, by putting your time in. If you were lucky enough a fellow caster would see the effort you put into working our shore line and would help you understand the fish you where trying to target.

Surf fishing has changed over the years, We are no longer able to sell our catch and the internet and print publications brings a wealth of surf fishing knowledge to your door step! But the most of the values are the same for different reasons let me explain.

We now fish for the love of the sport and we practice catch, photo and release (CPR). The exact reason we fish varies from one surfcaster to another, but for me is the challenge of the hunt and the peace and solitude only surf fishing can give me! and the friendships made. Did I mention the bend in my pole!

Yes surfcasters still will keep their dirty little secrets, what lure we used and technique, where we where catching, time of catch and weather conditions etc. These are for your log book not the internet! or any other form of fishing report!

The one thing that has changed, Surfcasters are more willing to help others more then ever and the for new comers to this sport its a great opportunity to shave years of trial and error off the learning curve.

One thing will never change no matter what technology brings you have to pay your dues, by putting your time in!

Over the next few weeks I will be adding some very helpful tips on surf fishing geared towards the new comers of this great sport. Ok guys its time to help the new guy! be sure to add your tips!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One of the best pieces of advice I can give anyone is to KEEP A DETAILED LOG of each and every outing! A log book or any one of the fishing log software available today, Keep all times, tide predictions and observed tide for your location including weather forecast and any other info you can to help set patterns of a area.

Your fishing logs will become on of your most important tool you will ever own Period!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bait Bait Bait!!!!! No bait no fish! I am not saying you wont catch a passing fish or two but your odds increase big time by finding bait! Get to know your bait for a given area !

Take the time to learn you bait, Times of year and patterns and bait migration and behavior. This will help you understand some of the feeding habits of our elusive striped bass.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

Striperhunt24/7     $ 19.12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No Homepage Set: Click To Add Your Own Homepage
    If keeping one for the table make sure you examine the stomach contents for what they have been feeding on!
    In The Shadows, Behind The Rocks, In The Wash My Quest Begins!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

James Johnson     $ 48.25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to James Johnson's homepage
    Stick and Move!

If you hit a spot that should produce for tide, weather and season don't spend more than 20 minutes or so on that spot as long as you covered all the water column. Log the outing you can figure it out later. Go find the Fish!
    Pay close attention to what history has taught us and be prepared to relive it again!
    ------------- or ----------
    Make a difference.
    Practice Catch & Release!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Striped bass feed in a certain area based on many factors, one of is the stage of tide. High tide or low tide? Incoming or ebb? now you actually going to fish it hard and put in your time to get a idea of what best produces a byte! In general the best times to fish and learn a area is 2 hours before and 2 hours after the tide and yes both High and low must be fished to you get a know that area. Time to pay you dues boys and girls!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't leave fish to find fish! The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Log the trip and enjoy you outing.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

rockhopper2     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No Homepage Set: Click To Add Your Own Homepage
    Crush your barbs on your plugs! It makes for easy release and if you manage to hook yourself helps avoid the rip out!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Total Contributions For

kethy     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go To My Homepage: Go to kethy's homepage
    That's pretty cool sharing StrikeZone! I'm glad to get this valuable information about the surf fishing. Your recommendations are really useful for me because I'm going to plan a summer trip with my family. We are thinking about beach to enjoy the warm weather completely. I must keep all these points in my mind and use all of them during my trip as well.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Blog Entries
    Total Contributions For

StrikeZone     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For striped bass slow retrieve and for blues fast retrieve for colder water slow your retrieve to it hurts and you you think its to slow slow down even more!

Warmer water also requires a slower retrieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast