Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No Homepage Set: Click To Add Your Own Homepage

Help My First Wetsuit

Hi everyone hope some one can point me in the right direction.

1) What would be a Summer suit
    2) What would be a Fall suit
    3) What to look for
    4) and anything else for a first time wetsuiter

I going to give this a try this season.
    Have questions? Need answers? or just want to improve your angling skills or learn new techniques? Start a New Topic Today! and get the incite and knowledge needed from experienced anglers with a passion for the sport. Start making the most of you time on the water!
    In The Shadows, Behind The Rocks, In The Wash My Quest Begins!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Total Contributions For

rhodeymike     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help My First Wetsuit

I have 2 suits. one is a 4/3mil which I use most of the year. my other suit is a 5 mil. I use this suit in the fall all the way till the fish leave me.. (end of November). some of the features I like in a suit is to have the seal skin chest and back. it cuts out the wind big time. I also like to wear surfer wetsuits . you have much more flexibility and I think it might be a bit more buoyant than a dive suit.

as for socks and boots I wear whatever is most comfortable.. I typically use 2 mil socks and I wear the korkers boots with the interchangeable bottoms.

some people wear gloves when swimming to rocks but i never do because i cant fish with gloves on. but it all depends on how you deal with the cold water. it doesn't seem to bother me enough to wear them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

Striperhunt24/7     $ 19.12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhodeymike
    I have 2 suits. one is a 4/3mil which I use most of the year. my other suit is a 5 mil. I use this suit in the fall all the way till the fish leave me.. (end of November). some of the features I like in a suit is to have the seal skin chest and back. it cuts out the wind big time. I also like to wear surfer wet suits. you have much more flexibility and I think it might be a bit more buoyant than a dive suit.

as for socks and boots I wear whatever is most comfortable.. I typically use 2 mil socks and I wear the korkers boots with the interchangeable bottoms.

some people wear gloves when swimming to rocks but i never do because i cant fish with gloves on. but it all depends on how you deal with the cold water. it doesn't seem to bother me enough to wear them.
    Thanks for the info!
    What price range or make would be a good starter suit?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like i will go with rhodeymike 4/3mil surfer wet suite with the seal skin chest and back. I do own a pair of the korkers boots with the interchangeable bottoms.

Just one more question about plug bag size i have a Mac 6 tube will it be to heavy to swim with?
    OK 2 Questions Would i better off with a 3 tube?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Total Contributions For

rhodeymike     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

when it comes to price on wetsuits I go cheap because I don't take care of them.. if I get a season or 2 out of them im happy with them.. the suits I have now are hyperflex suits made my Henderson. I think I paid 120ish for them online.. wetsuitwarehouse.com I believe was the site.. as for surf bag I think you 6 tuber will fill up pretty good. I have the mak 4 tuber and it can be heavy at times. i also have the mak small tube bag on my belt so sometimes i just use that when i know ill be throwing particular plugs. another tip i have for swimming is have clips on your belt to hold your bag to your back or side (if you don't already have clips). makes life easier when your not dealing with your plug bag flowing around and out of control. one less thing to deal with. with my mak bag ive never had issues with the flap coming open and plugs float away but ive seen it happen and theres nothing more frustrating than seeing 150 bucks worth of plugs floating away in the rip you just swam across.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Total Contributions For

rmorris     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a 3ml for summer and a 5 for cooler temps. I perfer a farmer john bottom with a shorty, tried the one piece suiti, didn't work for me. Don't go with a dive suit, go with a surf suit, much more flexible. You can probably get a good deal on a suit this time of year. I suggest a 3-5 ml sock. Hope this helps.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Total Contributions For

striperswiper75     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 2 suits that I have used. A 5/4 Body Glove surf suit which I use early and late in the season. It is a higher quality suit that I would never have bought except it was such a great sale. My main suit is a Ripcurl 4/3 surf suit, back zip. Very stretchy material and I wear it from June through October (temp dependent). I picked it up for around $120 new and it has served me well for 2 seasons. I just picked up a Henderson 5mm farmer john and shorty top that I am going to try out this season.
    For a first wetsuit, unless you find a great deal on a surf suit; you can pick up a super cheap 3mm suit at Ocean State Job Lot for like $40. It's not a great suit by any means but it is a small investment to test out the feel of a wetsuit. You never know, you might hate the overall feel of using a wetsuit.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Angler Method
    Surf Fishing
    Total Contributions For

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like i am going with a 4/3mil surf suit and opt for a 3 tube bag Mak i think. I have a 6 tube and luv it or is their a better choice.

Thanks for all for the Help!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Total Contributions For

striperswiper75     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a 3 tube Commando bag with the removable front pouch. Perfect wetsuit bag in my opinion. I use the bag all season though. Holds plenty of plugs and I put the rigged eels in the pouch which goes straight into the freezer after fishing. Used the bag all last season and not a sign of wear.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Total Contributions For

rhodeymike     $ 0.00
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

striperswiper75 I thought about that commando bag just for the removable front pouch. I havnt held it yet so I don't know how nasty it will get or do you put your riggies in a plastic bag and then into the front pocket. now I use the MAK belt bag for riggies. I like the idea of what I have with the plastic bin that goes into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast